Hola, color lovers and fellow ORCers 🌈 my name is Jenna Pilant [puh-lawnt] and this is thee Monday-est update on my Spring 2020 ONE ROOM CHALLENGE space ever . . . you’ll read WHY soon enough 😑 ICYMI: Last week the ORC made the respectful decision to cancel all of our “WEEK 5” updates in observation of George Floyd’s horrific death and the #BLACKLIVESMATTER movement ❤️ which was 1000% the right thing to do and made me proud to be affiliated with this biannual design event! So I spent that time
working on my ORC space listening and educating myself on my own white supremacy and I want to encourage y’all to do the same thing too 🙏 I am currently listening/journaling to the 28-day book “Me and White Supremacy” by Layla F. Saad and just today started listening to “White Fragility” by Robin DiAngelo, PhD as well. Both have been very eye opening 🤯 I had no idea what it meant to be black in this country OR how our white supremacy has infiltrated the entire world 💔 it’s devastating to realize that you’re part of the problem, thus I am going to work hard each day at being a better ally to the black human race.
Besides studying white racism last week and this week, I have also spent a good chunk of time fretting over the location of some of my ORC supplies 😳 right now I am currently in the limbo of “X, Y, and Z have been ordered but they still aren’t here yet” 🥵 that’s right = my area rug is still in Italy, I’m waiting on updated tracking for my bar’s backsplash tile and the fabric for that circular ’70s sofa’s body just arrived here late afternoon yesterday . . . so you can just imagine what I looked like today 🤪 will there be a new ROOM BLOOM on YouTube this week with the first steps in how-to reupholster that sofa? ABSOLUTELY! Will it be tonight? Tomorrow morning?? Still unsure. But please, please, PLEASE check back here ⬇️ and/or on my YouTube channel as it will definitely be up there by end of the day Saturday 🤞🏻 COLOR LOVERS’ HONOR!
In the meantime, IF you haven’t watched the other FOUR episodes of ROOM BLOOM for my Spring 2020 ONE ROOM CHALLENGE space, I welcome you to do so 😉
Week One: I prepped, primed and painted the FORMAL LIVING ROOM’s giant *ss windows 😅 you can see/learn how by watching Episode 30 of ROOM BLOOM:
⬇️ Week 1’s Episode ⬇️
Week Two: The LIVING ROOM’s fireplace was transformed by Los Angeles muralist = RUBEN ROJAS 🎨 watch it’s tranformation on Episode 31 of ROOM BLOOM:
⬇️ Week 2’s Episode ⬇️
For Week Three: I took a Wayfair coffee table and DIYed it into a disco ball FANTASTIC piece of furniture for my ORC space 🎨 watch that grooviness directly below:
Week 3’s Episode
And for Week Four: there’s a “how-to” properly teardown upholstered furniture ✂️ I hope it inspires you to try your hands at your own upholstery project for home!
Week 4’s Episode
Jenna’s Spring 2020 ONE ROOM CHALLENGE To-Do List:
- Remove and donate old ceiling fan to Habitat for Humanity. ✅
- Paint the ceiling and walls a bright, inviting white. ✅
- Disassemble old security alarm sensor above master bedroom door. ✅
- Prime/paint interior wood windows. ✅
- Install new window shades. ✅
- Clean & repaint the inside of the fireplace’s firebox. ✅
- Prime/paint the top wood portion of the fireplace structure. ✅
- Install the fireplace’s art installation. ✅
- Create a one-of-a-kind coffee table. ✅
- Teardown 70s circular sofa. ✅
- Reupholster the 1970s circular sofa.
- Remove wallpaper and demo countertop in built-in bar area.
- Install new bar countertop.
- Prime/paint the built-in bar’s wood.
- Tile the built-in bar’s backsplash and sidewalls.
- Create or source additional artwork for living room’s walls + additional decor items.
- Install new ceiling fan.
- Photograph the entire completed space.